Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 (ESV) - The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.
I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed the other day when I saw a photo with this quote on it:
“In the end only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.” ~~Buddha
I really got to thinking about this a lot. I started to wonder about it. Really? These are the things that matter? How do we know this for certain?
Sounds Very Warm and Fuzzy, Doesn’t It?
The truth is that it’s a very relative statement. What does real ‘love’ mean in human terms? It will not mean the same thing to everyone. How graceful is graceful enough? Without these things defined there is no real meaning to Buddha’s statement. And, who are the people who get the privilege of defining these things for the whole human race; for all time? No matter who that would be (Buddha or otherwise) it’s not fair to everyone else to leave us out of the decision making.
The truth about "In the end" is that only God can define true love, because God is love. The rest of us are just striving daily to get there. Only God has shown true gracefulness. In the end what matters is that you:
- love Jesus
- love others as you love yourself
These first two points are greatest commandments that Jesus gave us. Jesus told us “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets” (Matthew 22:37–40 (NKJV)). We just need to look toward Jesus’ example of love. He loves us as He loves His Father. So must we do the same. But, you also must love yourself like God loves you, and see yourself as His child, because without that you can not love others.
That’s Not All. There’s More!
What’s important in the end, though, doesn’t end there. We must also:
- confess and repent of your sins and follow Him - “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 (NKJV). In addition, Luke 13:3 (NKJV) tells us “I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.” To repent means to turn 180 degrees. We have to turn away from our sinful ways and follow Jesus.
- help spread the gospel – ‘And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.”’ (Mark 16:15-16 (NKJV))
- forgive and don't judge others – “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” (Luke 6:37 (NKJV))
- show Jesus to others from within yourself, by loving others and showing them that you are His disciple - "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.'" (John 13:34-35 (NKJV))
In the End He is All that Matters
Do you have a relationship with Him today? Do you show Him to others in your actions, attitude, and daily life? Do you forgive easily? Do you judge others quickly? Do you love your enemies as yourself? Do you share the Good News with others, and be excited about doing it? Are you a disciple of Jesus? These things are so important in the end.
So when you’re looking for that something that will fill your soul and satisfy, and you’re tempted to go in search of worldly spirituality, think about this: those chubby little Buddha statues that some people have sitting in their gardens or on a table in their home; he can’t even get himself across the room without some help. How is he going to love you in the way you need, or save your eternal soul?
The only one to love you truly and perfectly is God. Our purpose on Earth is to follow God’s laws to bring Him glory. The bottom line; in the end; after all is said and done… Jesus is what really matters because without Him we won’t get to spend eternity with Him in Heaven.
Dear God ~~ Wonderful, merciful, graceful, perfect-loving Lord, so often I get lost on my journey. I go looking for things to fill my needs and heart that are made from human-designed concepts. Thank You for Jesus and all that He has done for me and given me. Help me to always turn to Him for everything I need and to be my perfect example of love. Help me to show my thanks by following Your commandments and letting Christ be seen in me by others. Open the eyes, ears, minds, and hearts of all that I meet and let them be drawn to Jesus; because in the end, that’s all that matters. In Jesus name, AMEN.
Now It’s Your Turn
Thoughts about this post? Questions? Want to share your story? Ask for prayer? Please share in the comments box below. (If you don’t see the comments box below, you are on the homepage, click on the post headline, & scroll down to find the comments section.)
Check out these other great options and join in the conversations...